21 June 2014

Whistling Kite

I think this is the Whistling Kite; I'm looking for affirmations on this one.  (Confirmed, see later photo).


It would be great to think I just happened upon this snapshot in the wild, it certainly looks to be doesn't it?  Instead, it was a grand photo opportunity during a free-flight raptor show at the Alice Springs Desert Park, N.T. 

with a magnificent backdrop of the MacDonnell Ranges

New addition:  This photo taken by Paul Fergus, tour participant who also went home, referenced his photos, and found this to be the Whistling Kite; thanks Paul for your feedback, and sharing your super photo.



Have I whet your appetite with majestic scenery?  The first of photos taken on my recent trip have been uploaded to Snap Happy Online.  Hope  you'll follow me there, and see what I saw for you too, the wonderful scenery and places of interest, from the Red Heart of Alice Springs to Uluru, in the Northern Territory.


23 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful no matter how you saw him!

Brian King said...

He's handsome whatever kind of raptor he is! Gorgeous country!

FAB said...

Super location to watch a raptor display. Wrong part of the world fro me to comment on ID.

Bob Bushell said...

I don't know if it's whistling, not from Australia, so I can't help, sorry. But, it is fantastic photo Carole.

Phil Slade said...

You didn't need to own up to that one Carole. Whether its truly wild or not your kite pictures are lovely. I'm pleased you got the ID as I couldn't help with that one.

eileeninmd said...

Carole, the scenery is beautiful and awesome shots of the Whistling Kite! Thank you for linking up to my critter party. Enjoy your weekend!

Seraphinas Phantasie said...

Hi Carole,
marvelous photos of this special and beautiful bird. Great !
Best regards, Synnöve

Unknown said...

A very handsome bird. The location is gorgeous too.

orchid0324 said...

Wow; I've never known this raptor called "Whistling Kite"♡♡♡ What a beauty; your beautiful country sure has wonderful lives;

Sending you lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

Jeanne said...

Great shot of this beautiful bird and the scenery does look quite intriguing. Will check out your other blog for more of this scenery

Irma said...

Hi Carole,
Beautiful photos of this bird of prey.
Picture 1 and 3 are totally awesome.
Best regards, Irma

Karen said...

Nothing better in my opinion than the Red Centre! I've been there 3 times, and every time I was amazed. It's a magical place. A very handsome bird.

Deanna said...

What a beautiful bird, captured so well by both of you!!

sunshine said...

Beautiful photos and a very powerful bird.

maryaustria said...

A wonderful series of photos! I love the second one!

Dianne said...

Welcome back from your trip Carole ... wonderful background of deep colours to showcase your pics. Looking forward to seeing more.

Grandma C said...

He is cute what ever he is. I hope someone can help you confirm.

Merlesworld said...

They have a feeling of freedom and power.
Merle.........

Anni said...

Yes, yes, yes....I would love to book a flight to your country just to see your birds!!

This is one beautiful kite. My goodness, what rich wonderful colors.

Thanks for linking up this weekend at the Bird D'Pot. Always appreciated.

A Colorful World said...

Great photos! I bet the demonstration was very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Great shots!

Unknown said...

Wow, he is gorgeous! Very nice and happy for your sighting.

Kay said...

What a beautiful bird Carole, love the scenery too.