27 November 2013

Rainbow Bee-eater

It was nice to just sit back and chat some, out in the bush, and under the shade of some tall eucalypts. Walking out in the hot sun earlier in various locations nearby, had warranted this welcome scheduled break around 11 am. While opening up a folding-chair, emptying out my backpack and lining up mug and thermos to pour a coffee, someone within the big circle of birding friends spotted this beautiful bird.

Some years have passed since I first saw a Rainbow Bee-Eater, and then it was up on a power-pole line.    Even though perched way up high, I loved that this one was in a natural setting, and right here where I could take some snaps.







..thinking this bird is pretty unique.  Well, it's pretty and it's unique.  Maybe I should say it's handsome and unique?

While I was looking up like that; it was looking up too.  How's your neck after a birding outing?


This was the last photo and I did get back to have my cuppa.  Not everyone in the birding-group is after photos, so most by now were way ahead of me, probably getting ready to pack up again! 

I still love that I got some photos for my memory-box and hope that another day I might get another opportunity to see the Rainbow Bee-eater again.

Location: Bingara, N.S.W.  Where is Bingara?  About 550 klms. north-west of Sydney.

Factsheet from Birds in Backyards website here


Sharing with Wild Bird Wednesday

28 comments:

mick said...

Great photos - they are beautiful birds. This reminds me I haven't seen or photographed any this season - I need to go and look for them!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I saw this species along the Murrumbidgee River when I visited Australia. It was the first species of Bee-eater I ever saw. I have seen many others since.

TexWisGirl said...

how beautiful! love those tail feathers!

eileeninmd said...

I would love to see the Bee-eater someday. They are gorgeous birds. Great sighting and photos!

Montanagirl said...

What a great find for you! Your photos are amazing, and so is the Bee Eater!!

Jeanne said...

What a gorgeous bird that is. Do they actually eat bees??? That is probably a really dumb question, so if it is, my apologies. Great shots carole!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

The last photo really shows how unique they are.

Carole M. said...

they do actually eat bees Jeanne, and you reminded me to add the fact-sheet link at the bottom of the post; thanks for your question. They also eat dragonflies and other insects.

Brian King said...

I think the Bee-eater family in general is gorgeous and this bird is no exception!

Karen said...

It's beautiful, I love that tail!

Dianne said...

It's such a pretty bird Carole and I don't think I've ever seen one over here. Just as well I'm not in a birding group because I'd be the same as you .... forever falling behind in pursuit of bird captures.

"Adelaide and Beyond"

Unknown said...

They're gorgeous! The colours are so pretty.

Joop Zand said...

LOVELY bird and pictures.....good post Carole.

Greetings, Joop

HansHB said...

Great serie, well done!

Phil Slade said...

The name alone is enought to get me excited. But then to see such a beautiful bird is surely a special day. Nice one Carole.

Bob Bushell said...

I love the Bee-eater, but this one is terrific,with the long tail, great Carole.

Jan Castle said...

WOW!!! Could certainly win a color contest!!!! I've never seen most of the birds you capture with your camera, so I say a big THANKS CAROLE!!!!!
Hugs,
Jan

Adam Jones said...

What a lovely and stunning bird.

Adrienne W said...

Unique bird and photos, Carole!

Neil said...

Great series on the Bee-eater you have the same problem as me try and have a cuppa and the birds appear.

Irma said...

Beautiful pictures of the Rainbow Bee-eater.
Very well photographed Carole.
Colors are really great.
Greetings Irma

Helma said...

Yeah ....... truly a beautiful bird.
Beautiful colors and very fine in shape.
Super Carole!

Dzjiedzjee said...

Such a nice bird! We don't have birds like that here in the Netherlands! ;-)

I hope you'll have a great weekend!
dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

Wow! What a colorful and beautiful little bird!!

Stewart M said...

They are really special birds.

I agree about being able to see them somewhere other than on power lines! I have only seen them about 1/2 dozen times and most are on wire.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

diane b said...

Love his tail.

Davine said...

Great photos and aren't they so cute. I also love their tail.

Unknown said...

What a lovely day out - great photos. I wish I had had a good camera when we loved on our Conondale property as we had flocks of them....... oh well I can enjoy yours instead. :)