03 November 2013

Linarias


This spring surged forward with a vengeance, with higher than normal temperatures very early in the season.  I've made a determined effort to keep the gardens up to date by choosing a time of day that works best, since me .. and too much hot sun, don't work well together!

It has to be early to mid mornings, and/or late in the afternoon, sometimes now, also making use of the daylight-savings hours.  If it helps me to 'beat the heat', it has to be how I tackle it from now on through the summer months ahead.  January/February I will try not to winge' about how hot it is.  


These Linarias remind me of little snapdragons, though they're less robust with fragile, delicate stems, but still oodles of bright colourful flowers.  Three packets of seeds scattered in sunny spots offered me my fill of visual sweetness for a while, but yesterday, they were lifted out.

Four punnets of blue salvia seedlings are now all planted out and being nurtured along with daily hand-waterings.  At just after noon as I write this, it's nudging 35 degrees celcius, and a total-fireban across most of N.S.W. in place as hot, windy conditions return (ABC News).  And then maybe dissipate from hot into cooler as it seems a southerly is coming in ... I was going to start laying out some sugar-cane mulch but when I read about a forecast change I thought the better of it.  Don't need it blowing away all over the pathways.


Just so you really get an understanding of 'me and the heat' I'm pushing this post from January this year to the fore.

I know that some of you are even expecting snow storms, it is interesting to compare notes about 'the weather' my side, your side.  When I'm hot it has a cooling effect to see photos of the snow.  I can't send you photos of anything to prove how hot, other than frying an egg on the roadway after Christmas.

19 comments:

Stewart M said...

No surging spring down here today - 16 degrees and a few showers!

Great flowers!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

PS: Do people really have any interest in the Melbourne Cup outside Melbourne?

Carole M. said...

the southerly buster arrived around 5pm and still blowing hard. Melbourne Cup is very popular, most work places as I remember would run 'sweeps' and venues have luncheons and fashion parades before the race etc. The tv will be full of it from daylight to the final news of the day too.

Red Nomad OZ said...

Spring has been SO up and down this year with huge variations in temperature - I'm amazed your flowers survived to tell such a perfect tale!!

Bob Bushell said...

They are beautiful Carole.

Jeanne said...

YOur flowers are just gorgeous! Love the delicacy and the beautiful color. It is very interesting to think of the temperature differences in the two hemispheres isn't it. Don't be too jealous of me though in Texas! It is still pretty warm here, and definitely no concerns about snow at this time., or later either most likely.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful flowers and images, Carole! We are expecting a cool 50 degrees today and mostly sunny! Have a happy day and week ahead!

Phil Slade said...

No spring flowers here either Carole. Moving quite dramatically into winter instead.

Montanagirl said...

Beautiful bloom! So very pretty. We have 39 degrees this morning with an expected high of 50. Not too bad for November in Montana.

Unknown said...

Beautiful flowers Carole. We are expecting a 38 degree day tomorrow, after a 40 last Wednesday. I spent a few days in Perth and came home to find a lot of flowers frizzled with the sudden heat. Bring on winter.

Brian King said...

These are gorgeous! Very nice color! We're heading into winter and I'm happy for the cooler temperatures. I'd had enough of the heat.

TexWisGirl said...

it is amazing to think of such spring blooms as we are just beginning to cool down here in texas. :)

these are like snapdragons - with the color of violas. :)

Ida said...

I too find it fascinating that while we are in the cold months of the year you are enjoying a beautiful spring. These flowers are so pretty. I love them. They do remind me of snapdragons.
There are many nature photos on my Songography post today you might enjoy.

cath said...

Bonjour,
Je découvre ton blog, j'aime beaucoup ton travail. Des aventures et de très belles photos d'une beauté incroyable !
Je suis artiste peintre, photographe amateur; je me suis inscrite pour suivre tes publications!
Je t'invite à me rendre visite sur mes blogs, merci beaucoup et bonne soirée! Cath

Dzjiedzjee said...

Very beautiful!! :-)

Best regards from the Netherlands,
dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

Our photos said...

Beautiful are your flowers photos!
Greetings, RW & SK

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Carole These flowers are so beautiful.

Jan Castle said...

Lovely flowers....do they have a fragrance? Sorry you had to pull them, but happy you took the time to take the pictures for us to enjoy!!!! We still have some Fuschiay in bloom even tho we are in the 30-60 degree temp spread.. More cold than not to be sure....leaves falling fast, but can still see autumn coloring here and there!

Paper Hugs,
Jan

Helma said...

Beautiful colors Carole.
The flowers are lovely in there. This you do not see. Come now time being Therefore nice to you just enjoy this beauty :-)

Liz said...

Gorgeous flowers Carole! I do miss my garden!