16 November 2013

Dollarbird

It was just 8 am, well that's still the old 7 a.m. if you consider we're in daylight saving time for now. Some will remember previous bird photos taken way up high in the old Angophora tree out in the bush corridor; this Dollarbird was perched up there.  


it wasn't singing...


and it wasn't calling out

I watched the Dollarbird for a time and it was more like a wide-yawning action.  Not sure exactly what that meant for this insect catcher; maybe it was sifting some through the system?  



Here's a snap of the narrow bush-corridor beyond the back fence.  You can't see the Angophora tree in this photo, but it stands tall to the left of this photo, beyond the neighbouring property.  

Had you noted the special effects, gauze textured overlay for this photo? 

Surprise!  I had taken it through an upstairs window with fly-screen; I know, you knew that already.

If you've read this far, you deserve to share the fun part; well it was for me.  The four intro' photos of the Dollarbird have been captured on the longest zoom x 50, through that fly-screen. It seems that once I got past the close-up view, the lens lost sight of the gauze, and focussed instead, on the bird.  I was pretty rapt about that, even though they're not sharp images, they're a good enough record shot.  


This and the following were taken another time, outdoors, (i.e. not through the screened window upstairs), and I'm sharing this particular snap to show why it's called the Dollarbird.  It's to do with these silver-marks on the underside of the wings.







it only I could twist my neck like that, makes it too-easy for merging into oncoming traffic on the motorway

18 comments:

Lisa Gordon said...

They sure are beautiful birds, Carole, and they look so wonderful against that bright blue sky!

Have a great weekend!

TexWisGirl said...

oh, they are cute. but, WOW what a maw!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I had to read that a couple of times...through the screen, you would not know. Now the later photos do look a bit crisper and sharp. Were they not through the screen is it my imagination. Neat bird though.

Brian King said...

It certainly looks like it's saying something! Talk about a big mouth! Beautiful photos!

Carole M. said...

Hi John (Sinbad..), it was only the first four bird photos that had been taken through the screen - the remaining bird photos were taken outdoors.

Our photos said...

Beautiful are the photos, Carole!
Greetings from Holland, RW & SK

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Maybe the insects were just flying into that great wide mouth. Thanks for the in flight picture which shows the "dollars". Have a good weekend.

Stewart M said...

Nice pictures - there have been a few sightings of these down here in the last couple of weeks - which is unusual - but as it was a rareish bird I did not get to see it (which is not unusual!)

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Joop Zand said...

Very good photographed Carole.....it's a nice bird.

Greetings, Joop

Irma said...

Beautiful pictures Carole.
Beautiful bird species is this.
Nice weekend,
Greetings Irma

Red Nomad OZ said...

SO jealous about the Dollarbird - none of them down south ... but also jealous AND amazed about your lens' ability to wipe out the gauze! Hope you're having a great weekend!

Bob Bushell said...

Lovely bird, what is it calling? Nobody knows. Well photos.

Phil Slade said...

Well I was wondering why "Dollar Bird" and thanks for showing that. You have some great habitat just over the fence there Carole and it looks like the sort of place I'd love to explore, flies or not. You do have to watch those auto camera focusing on things you'd rather they didn't but all turned out well with those pics.

DeniseinVA said...

Great shots of this pretty Dollar bird Carole. I wonder if the open mouth is a way they deal with the heat. I see several birds here do the same thing when it is very hot and humid, but not being an expert I am never quite sure.

eileeninmd said...

They are cute birds, Carole! And I like their name! Great shots!

Montanagirl said...

Nice photos. I like those orange bills!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Carol. Great shots of the Dollar bird. I would not have know the first 4 were through a screen.

Carole M. said...

DeniseinVA: Yes I have seen birds with their beaks open in the heat, but for this Dollarbird it wasn't that reason. It was still only early morning, temperate, and the action was like a stretching/yawn. I watched it do this many times over.