29 April 2013

White-bellied Sea Eagle

This post is with a little intruige, and even though the images are distant and somewhat fuzzy, I think you'll be intruiged along with me.

Don't we get caught out sometimes?  Was indoors and stopped to think about a noise I'd heard in the distance out there somewhere, several times over.  Went out; was it a duck or ....??  Looked to the trees out the back, nothing. Walked around the house, then saw, up in the sky long ways away, two big birds gliding around on the thermals.

Goodness!!  Go get the camera!

I'm thinking a pair of White-bellied Sea Eagles.  Cropped images; see what you think .......



 the one on the right, it has differing markings around the top of chest, white marks on the wing extensions... so maybe it's still a juvenile?  



 it takes two to tango?

 Someone's house roof is showing at the bottom left of this photo unfortunately and I guess the focus went to it, instead of the birds for this one



Shame they were so far away, better luck another day!

As for the voice, my Readers Digest Birding reference describes it as 'harsh, metallic, goose-like'

16 comments:

Seraphinas Phantasie said...

Just wonderful this both special birds. Have a nice new week, Carol. Best regards, Synnöve

Gumer Paz said...

I took time to grasp. Great! A kiss

Red Nomad OZ said...

I think you're right about the juvenile! It's always a thrill to see Sea Eagles - they're so majestic and powerful!

Love your new header & blog name BTW!!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I really like the 3rd photo of the two of them soaring through the blue sky!

Irma said...

What a great experience to see these special birds.
I hope you still look at this another day, Carole.
Regards, Irma

Judy said...

Ah, but you have far better shots than I could ever get...

Unknown said...

Beautiful, proud birds and great captures again Carole.
Costas

TexWisGirl said...

very cool white tail!

Brian King said...

I've seen photos of these eagles and they're majestic! I love the black and white color!

Montanagirl said...

Wow what a great find for you! The black and white coloring is really amazing.

Bob Bushell said...

Splendid photography of the Sea Eagles.

diane b said...

They are majestic birds how lucky for you to see them. The captures are good.

Evelyn S. said...

I would guess that the different colored one is a juvenile; the Bald Eagle doesn't get its white head until it's about 7 years old! Fabulous captures, Carole.

Jan Castle said...

Oh soooooo pretty Carole!

Liz said...

What a wonderful experience!
My hubby & I were on a 3 day break recently up on the Sunshine Coast. We were walking along Marcoola Beach when we saw a pair of Brahminy Kites flying & soaring up and down the beach. It was quite a sight!!
We also saw a pair of Whistling Kites along the beach south of Mooloolaba... again quite an experience. I heard their unique calls before I saw them.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Stunning!!!!!