01 February 2012

continuing my Australia day trek ..The Rocks and Millers Point

Back again to share some more; have you stuck with me, remember where I've been?  Here is where I'm going ...

From Windmill Street and the Bond Store 3 down at Walsh Bay, into Argyle Street, The Rocks; crossing over and walking to my left now.

 Well it might need a tidy-up paint job but it seemed like photographic material to me.



A parkland strip divides the roads on both sides of, and at the end of it I see a church in sight.  This twisted tree trunk took my eye, and judging by it's girth, it looks to have been gracing that area for some time.



 A little further along I  admired this fig tree (not your garden eating-fig type); but commonly seen around the harbourside, it's the Port Jackson fig tree.  Often the delight to bonsai-enthusiasts with wonderful root-systems that will find their way over rock-crevices.  You can see it's potential on this Australian National Botanic Gardens exhibit.  Also some larger growing ones at Watsons Bay in this post.

On one side of the grassed strip, a glimpse of  characteristic charm from yesteryear, in the traditional terrace-housing.




...and now to the church, I see the location is known as Millers Point.






There was a cordoned-off area just inside the front entrance, but enough to step in and take a quick photograph and though not good exposure/lighting, still is worth including for the record here.


This same Garrison Church had been the backdrop subject for one of my paper-cutting projects, way back in 2009 in this post Horses and Cart.  Who'd have thought three years later, I'd actually be standing outside of; not me.

Walking back up the other side of the parkland-strip, and to polish-off this post, two more house to share.  This one being the old.........


and surprisingly, right alongside of it, the updated new-style. A little contradictory to the theme here it seems, but hey .. that's what they call 'progress'.  The old, and the new; I guess it works ....does it??


I'd been intent when walking by to photograph the new, sandwiched between the old.  It wasn't until researching online and reading this site, I find that this in fact is, the "complementary new wing", to an assisted-low-care, aged care "private" hostel facility, belonging to Darling House Aged Care Association Inc. The longer standing building from 1843, is that which is just showing, to the left of this photograph. 

14 comments:

Dianne said...

A wonderful walk Carole with different architectural styles - I loved the terrace housing ...... so reminiscent of a bygone era.

Bonnie said...

Delighted to me a new blogger and from Australia!

Babs said...

Carole, I always love seeing the architecture of historic buildings and you captured some great shots. Thanks for sharing your day trek.
Babs

TexWisGirl said...

the architecture is cool, but give me those trees! wow!

Liz said...

Thanks for taking us on your walk! What a great idea, Carole. I might do one similar in Brisbane.
What a lovely church too. So lovely.(I posted on a church in Brisbane for my Creative Exchange post this week)

Brian King said...

Love that big twisted tree! That's not something you see every day. Great architecture in these buildings and I really like the church.

Jenny Woolf said...

I like to see the old and the new together. And I love that big gnarly tree in the third picture.

Kim, USA said...

I love the textures and these houses are beautiful!

Watery Wednesday

Vagabonde said...

It was so enjoyable looking at all your photographs – the cockatoos and parrots are adorable. The Flinders Ranges are stunning. I also liked to look at the architecture. You had a great walk.

Karin M. said...

Very nice shots... the big tree looks fantastic....
Greeting Karin

Jeanne said...

So many great photos Carole.... I really love that fig tree... have never seen such huge fig trees, other than some of the photos i have seen from Australia. So huge. Really have enjoyed looking at all of the different buildings also!

Jan Castle said...

So happy to go back in time with you on your walk...very pretty pics!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Laura said...

Carole, Thank you for this lovely tour of your part of Australia! What a wonderful place to live!!!

Julie said...

Carole, that grassed area in the centre of Argyle Place is where the old tram terminus used to be. This was a very busy terminus with many trams starting here for the city and ending in the Rozelle Sheds out beyond Glebe.