15 January 2012

A rustic, tranquil setting ...

Where was I when taking this photo?  Coming back home this week on the train for two hours, after sitting with a friend over coffee, and strolling about later, in that decadent Queen Victoria Building, in Sydney.

Instead of burying my head in a magazine, or having music plugged into my ears, I tend to prefer to just browse the scenery through the window (with the constant of mobiles ringing in various tones, and differing conversations in the background). I'm worlds away though, one minute looking at rows of early-suburban Sydney homes, and another, something entirely different.

This service wasn't an x-press with only three stops, so there was time perhaps when the train slowed down to pick up a photo along the Hawkesbury River somewhere near Brooklyn, about halfway into the journey. You know how those windows are often graffiti-etched/shame, but I managed to eye-ball a section that I would be able to lift my camera to, if the opportunity presented itself, and with zoom to stretch across that river.

Along the edges of the Hawkesbury are a spattering of old cottages like this one. Just imagine living there with such a peacful lifestyle, and the salty-oyster-leased river lapping at your doorstep. I think of all the bird-photo opportunities! 





Sharing with Murrieta 365 for:


and also, Scenic Sunday



18 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

a quaint little place with a perfectly charming roof!

Lisa Gordon said...

What a neat little cottage Carole.
So nicely seen and captured!

Brian King said...

Wow! I like that! Great place. Nice photos, Carole!

mick said...

Great photos and a very interesting little house. I know the area from the road but its been a long while since I went by train.

Anonymous said...

What lovely and peaceful captures.

Helen Campbell said...

It does look like a tranquil location, and an amazing capture through a train window!

Dianne said...

Don't you just love that little cottage - so quaint and scruffy with the ricketty steps leading down to the river. Gorgeous!

"Adelaide and "Beyond"

Stewart M said...

Hi there – I could imagine spending some time there. But I wonder if the people who do want to spend time in the city?!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

AlanS said...

Would be perfect if in a totally private location...then you would not have seen it! Just the sort of place we look for to take holidays.

Valerie said...

Lovely capture of a very appealing cottage - I imagine it would be a great, inspirational spot for writers......on the other hand, perhaps the tranquility might be distracting?! Thanks for sharing.

Judy said...

Charming little house on the river!!

Jan n Jer said...

What a cute cottage...it would be a perfect get away to enjoy nature at it's best! Nice shot1

Karin M. said...

It looks very idyllic and peaceful, a cottage for the holidays...??!!!...that would be nice ...
Greeting Karin

Julie said...

How did I miss these posts over the weekend?

I take the train trip up to Wauchope on a regular basis. I am about to say to the folks at Central that I want one side of the carriage on the way up and the other side on the way down. I have worked out shots I want on each side by now. I am trying to document all the 'barns' between Broadmeadows and Wauchope. Sheds really but our friends over the waters call them barns.

Jan Castle said...

How nice that the train slowed to cooperate with your photo op!
Hugs,
Jan

genie said...

Love the roof on this structure. It could use a bit of paint, but looks to still be in pretty good condition. The sofa on the front porch add that little touch of homeyness to the image. Nice work. genie

☆Mama Ko☆ said...

I love your place. the traquility of the place and it's also close to the water. a perfect place to relax and have quiet time

Sharyl said...

These photos set me to reflecting... This place is charming, and I've so often wished I was in a homey little cottage or an old farm house with character rather than a ranch-style house. Yet, I'm sure as soon as I moved into one, I'd be fretting that I needed to replace the roof or "fix up" this or that, and in doing so, I would destroy much of the charm and relaxed look I liked so much in the first place.

Like the jetties, it's nice to have the super-duper one, but sometimes the simple one can be functional and picturesque, and the less time spent on making it "perfect," the more time to enjoy the life we live around it.

Lovely photos, Carole.