18 January 2012

Norah Head, N.S.W., Part One

A popular destination on the Central Coast; it was yesterday morning, at low tide...


a great spot for young families and little toddlers at the rock-pool, in Cabbage Tree Harbour.  By the time I was leaving, many more were arriving there.




I'd have loved to venture closer with my camera, but while my eye would be in the view-finder I might get dumped; definately, not a good idea, nor "a pretty picture".


a little differing markings I think, than the locals down at Shingle Splitters Point.




Really interesting rock-pools to look into, with Neptune's Necklace surrounding; isn't that a quaint name?!  The data sign-board says: "One of the commonest seaweeds in the pools is Neptune's Necklace.  The round beads, which form its fronds, are filled with air, to help keep the plant upright in water.  The footlike structure holds the seaweed to the rock and cannot reattach if dislodged.  Nutrients are drawn from the water and sunlight used for photosynthesis".


and I can see little treasures of Sea-Amethyst! Never heard of it before? I've just given those colourful stones in the middle, a name then.


Interesting patterns and a clearly etched tracery, no doubt created by some wonderful little sea-creature.  And lastly, intruiging design and textures too, in the kelp weed.



Will do a re-visit to Norah-Head again real soon, to capture more photographs, at high-tide.  There's way more to explore and share, from Norah Head.


Sharing with Watery Wednesday

16 comments:

Liz said...

Wonderful images! I love the third shot. I have been longing to drive down to the Gold Coast to take photos but the beaches have been closed (due to rips and now severe storms) and my youngest 2 teenage girls would not be too impressed on a beach trip without a swim :(

Anonymous said...

Absolutely breathtaking pictures! Wishing you a great Wednesday.

SportyMummy said...

Beautiful! I've never thought of taking photos of the rock pools before...I love it!

TexWisGirl said...

very nice, carole! i like your treasure finds. :)

Karin M. said...

What a great series, I like the big wave especially well ..
Best regards, Karin

joo said...

Beautiful post! I love the place, it looks fantastic, and the birds are so beautiful!

Sharyl said...

What splendid photos! You've made my Wednesday! When I hit photo #3, I knew I was in for a very special treat indeed! Love that tide coming in...then the birds...

I have to tell you, I was very relieved to find out that Neptune's Necklace was a plant rather than a bunch of worms!

...and then the fun just continued! Oh, I wish I was there wading with you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Carole - I just signed up for your blog. Found you on Sharyl's Jewelry blog in the comment section. I also create jewelry. Your photos are so great! It was like a beautiful feast just perusing them.

theconstantwalker said...

Wow! Carole wonderful images of your beautiful birds...
and.. sunshine.:-(

re the Rhododendrons..
The Victorians brought them to the UK from Asia.. and they have got out of control in parts of our countryside..
A big hug xx

NatureFootstep said...

what a great place. I love that wave. It is gorgeous. Shot at the perfect moment. And so much to explore on the beach. Thanks for sharing.

Jan Castle said...

Lovely pics...especially #3 - I can just picture you being engulfed with that wave!!! LOL! Glad you did not see fit to venture out on those rocks!
Hugs,
Jan

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh Carole, these are wonderful photos! I love the third one of the wave and the close-ups of the seagulls! I wish I was there!
Hugs, Cindy

Jeanne said...

Carole these are really beautiful! I love the one where you have captured the beautiful colors of the wave curl. Also these tidal pools look like so much fun. What a lovely place to do your photos. Beautiful

Laura said...

OMGosh, your photos are amazing, Carole!!! I especially love the one of the wave. How did you capture that great shot! Also, love the close-ups of the life in the tidal pool! Actually I love all the photos! Thanks for sharing!

Jenni said...

Looks like a lovely place. Your photos are lovely..I really like the Neptunes Necklace.So many lovely things to see at the sea!
jenni

Brian King said...

Norah Head is just beautiful! I'm glad someone is enjoying that kind of place while we endure our winter weather. :-)