08 January 2012

Blue-tongue in my garden

This blue-tongue has been around the past couple of summers now, and during this summer, I've found it to be very accepting of my walking close by. Here's a photo taken just a short while ago.

He has an escape hatch just down inside the corner cavity of the block retaining wall, not far away from where he's mostly basking in the sun on top of, and right close to my back-door.

I believe he sun-bakes during the day to re-charge the batteries, and that he might then go night-stalking for slugs and snails. The block retainer walls used to be a haven for tiny slugs but I doubt they ever get to grow to 'big slugs'. I've never seen them at least, nor a snail; and I like to think he's out there patrolling of a night.

As the colder weather moves on into Winter, the blue-tongue will disappear back into the wall, or some other chosen place perhaps, to hibernate until around September, October when I'll get to see him again, the next year perhaps.


Sharing with Murietta 365 for:

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great capture of expression.

Sharyl said...

It might be your closeups are getting "closer," but I swear that thing keeps getting bigger and BIGGER! One winter, it will crawl out from its hiding place and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! (I hope you have a video camera ready too! I feel a movie version coming on!) :-)

Zyzzyz said...

wow you have a personal slug catcher

Nadege, said...

Went to Mildura for the weekend and came across a blue tongue on one of our walks, scared my cousin has she nearly stepped on it.
Wonderful capture.

Jenni said...

He's a beauty....my aunt had a very friendly one years ago who used to take food...with his big blue tongue straight from her hand! she also had a stumpy tail lizard friend at the same time. Great close up shot.
Jenni

Nancy said...

An awesome capture! Love the detail -- the scales (if that is what you would call them?) are so cool.

Love your story behind this photo. :)

TexWisGirl said...

that's a gorgeous shot, carole! up close and personal! he's beautiful!

Pat Tillett said...

Wow! Great photo! It sure does have a dinosaur look to it.

NatureFootstep said...

seems to be a useful little fellow. :)

theconstantwalker said...

Wonderful to see Carole..
I would love to see one of these up close.
A fantastic capture..xx

eileeninmd said...

Great capture of your cool looking Blue-Tongue.

Francisca said...

That blue-tongue beats the heck out of our geckos, although I am happy to have them around to catch the mosquitoes. What a fabulous shot, Carole!

Jeanne said...

What big brown eyes he has. How large is that lizard?? Looks as if he could be relatively big with those big eyes! Great shot with perfect focus. Bet you could see your reflection in his eye if you zoomed.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my, what a great shot! Love him!
Hugs, Cindy

Carole M. said...

Jeanne, the Australian Museum website says that the Eastern Blue-tongue is the largest member of the skink family, and that they can grow to almost 600 mm in total length, of which about 360 mm is head and body".

My resident blue-tongue though is one of the unfortunates picked up by a kookaburra in his younger days and given a thrashing. Subsequently they can drop the tail. The stump rapidly heals and a shorter, regenerated tail grows back after a while. This one hasn't much left after his hind legs.

Brian King said...

What a gorgeous shot, Carole! Wow! That's awesome!

Marilyn said...

Great pic. I'm going to show to my husband who keeps two of them. They are very docile.